View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM

OK, so the IP is leaking so bad that a puddle forms on the ground below the engine.
I have to depress the gas pedal at lights to keep from stalling, and I have to rev the engine before I shut it off to keep fuel available for the next start.

It seems that the leak is from the front shaft seal.
Is it possible to replace without removing the pump? I don't have any timing tools.
Can anyone tell me if it's a 17mm or 20mm.
How about the seal kit part number?
Is there truly a Viton seal kit for biodiesel?

Here's some interesting info from the EBay seller of the seal kit:

Hi - According to the girl at Bosch, this VW kit will also work on that pump.
The VW Kit I sell comes with a 17mm front seal and she told me that your pump could carry a 20mm seal. The book doesn't say which size front seal is on your pump.
If you don't have your pump off yet and you don't know which size front seal you have, then I can just include both sizes for an extra $5.00 if you want.

I talked to some people at Bosch about the Viton seal Kits awhile back and they told me that Bosch doesn't offer any Kits with Viton seals. They said that all Bosch kits made since around 1995 are bio-diesel compatible, though.
Regular diesel fuel and Biodiesel tend to swell the seals and ULSD shrinks them, so as long as you pick one type fuel and stick with it as much as possible most experts say you should have no problems.
Most of the leaking problems seem to happen to those that go back and forth with the different type fuels. The seals don't seem to like the constant sweeling and shrinking.

Thanks, Sam.