View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 1984 244 D24

Ok so I have made some progress. Installed new napa gold fuel filter and clear lines between filter and fuel send line and between pump return and return hard line. Didnt want to cut off line that goes between pump input and filter and didn't think that was what i was told to do anyways...

I bled the air out of filter up to pump then cranked until i had fuel to all injectors and tightened lines down. Verified I had voltage to glow plug bus bar when relay is activated... however multimeter is MIA so unable to perform voltage drop test (little brother swears he doesn't have it but I know I loaned it to him!)

Proceeded to try and start engine with not a puff or a clack and I swear this thing turns way to easy for a diesel... low compression? Spinning plenty fast enough battery is new and big.

So I have been curious of valve clearances and bought valve cover gasket to address this (and the oil leaking out) a few months ago so I removed valve cover and checked my clearances and everything looked pretty good. had one intake valve at like .014" but this is barely out of spec didn't think it should be affecting her too much so put new gasket on and sealed back up.

So back to the glow plugs... Pulled em all out. Covered in diesel and some sludge. Don't look like they have heated for a while. So I get a jumper wire and manually test them individually directly to battery. All 6 are toast. So kinda embarrassed and happy at same time. I used autolite plugs which was what was in stock at the time. If I would have researched even a little I would have learned these are garbage and could have spent $2 more each and waited a day or two for them. Had an old NGK in glove box (which i found shortly after buying the 6 autolites this spring) and seems like NGKs are ok to use... Oh and just ordered 5 bosch plugs which will be here monday. only $12 bucks the junk autolites were $10 so really a no brainer here I learned the hard way!!

Any opinions on the NGK? took a picture i figure its same or better than what they make today not sure how old but at least a few years... I'll put up front just in case... damn that #6 plug what a bitch!! 2nd time was a little easier and having the hood off and a shop light directly overhead is very nice compared to my usual style of farm repairs in the driveway!!

I'll try and get a video when I get new plugs in and crank for first time but not sure how this camera handles video... old 4mp digital I recently stepped on iPhone and not in the budget to replace as long as the volvo stays in the garage lol!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1944.jpg (82.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1948.jpg (97.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1950.jpg (83.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1941.jpg (82.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1951.jpg (80.3 KB, 10 views)