View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I used to own a 1993 960 wagon with stock B6304 gasser motor.....Have you looked into VNT possibilities?
I haven't looked into VNT's. I'm not certain of what turbo I need to use.

Quote:
You will not believe this.... but I have the exact part you need..... but if you are in need I might be able to be talked into letting it go, or I can at least give you the right part number so you can try to track one down.
Yeah man, let's talk! If you have that part number, I would like to have it.

Quote:
That I do not know. I swapped the filler from a 1985 745 turbodiesel into a 1986 turbo gas and they shared the same setup. The filler neck still could be and, I suspect, might well be the same even if the entry point into the tank is different. VADIS would confirm. It is worth taking a look. You can also just hollow out the gasser neck to make it work... but I usually figure that if the right, original part is sitting right there and will work, it is nice to use it.
From re-thinking the recent in-tank pump work on the 940T, there is a rubber elbow from the filler neck to the tank that might make it so the diesel filler would drop in the 960. I can check this at the junkyard as there is a '90+ car there to compare them.

Quote:
Engine hoist and a piece of chain secured around the front bumper....
I've got a lift at the shop, and I'm sure I'll use this method to yank the 960 drivetrain and to swap in the D24T. I've got some good heavy-duty dollies that I can use to manuever the engine/tranny.

Quote:
Did you get the struts and springs out of the donor car? That is the only other major difference in the front end between gas and diesel, besides the crossmember... but then again, the other TD-swap 960 I have spent some time around still has its stock front springs and it sits just about right. The huge twincam head on the B6304 probably offsets any weight savings versus the D24T that it gets by having an aluminum block and no turbo or injection pump hanging off it.
Is there a difference between the diesel front springs and the ones used on the gas cars? A 14mm wrench will just fit over the spring wire on the diesel and I compared that to an '88 760 gasser and the '92 960 that I have. They all appear to use the same diameter wire, although the total spring height may be different. I'll either have to pull some springs and look, or get someone with VADIS to look up the parts numbers.

I know the early 7-series cars used a different strut than the later cars and I wonder if the springs would swap over. I imagine so, but it would be nice to know for sure.

I have a 1000 lb. scale and dressed 6304 (960) engine at the shop that I can weigh and compare to the D24T. If they weigh about the same, I won't worry about it, but I would still like to have some good dope on the springs.