View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Thanks for that info, everything worked exactly as you described. Luckily the car came with a number of the diesel specific tools, I was able to get the timing into spec on the first try. I had trouble cracking the 21mm bolt on the end of the cam, but with the hood in the full up position it was much easier. Thanks again!

Unfortunately the car still doesn't start. There are a few different issues that are apparent now that I have been able to crank the car. There is a fuel leak somewhere on the underside of the injection pump towards the back of the motor. I am going to try snugging all the high pressure lines on the pump I cracked loose when I was trying to get the pump free again, but they already feel pretty tight. This area seemed to get wet after I cleaned the entire pump with parts cleaner to try to find the source. I will try tightening them again with two flare wrenches, one to counterhold the fitting out of the pump and one on the line nut. I hope that solves the leak issue. Other than that, the glow plug indicator lamp doesn't come on. Greenbook says to look for power from orange wire at control unit, I get nothing, so I will have to look more deeply into that. I also can't find a wiring diagram for what I believe is a coolant temp sensor somewhere near the rear cam sprocket. I remember having a hard time removing a connector from back there, but now can't find any connections. Either way, it's a relief to finally have the pump timed and the wiring harness (almost) installed. Hopefully tomorrow I will make more progress. Thanks again for your detailed responses.