View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 07:12 PM

Default Welcome/issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
You said you had the IP rebuilt and the timing belts changed. Who did that work, and using what methods? What is the current timing setting? Why was the IP rebuilt? Why were the injectors rebuilt? What order was it all done in? Seconding ngoma's question, has compression been checked at any point, and if so, what were the results? What are the details about the oil consumption -- how much, under what conditions, what kind of oil in it, etc? Does it smoke only when you put your foot into it, or at other times as well, and what colors? How's the cold and warm starting? How's the power output? You'll want answers to every last one of these questions, and a handful others, before you'll have enough info to know what's currently going on and what the next steps need to be.

Welcome to the forum! You're in good company here, there are several Pinz owners, including forum member Hecklebone not too far from you in Denver CO, who has a 718 in similar spec to yours judging by the picture.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! I appreciate all your input. I have not yet decided on a rebuild, at least not until I do more testing and research. Here are some of the basic answers to the majority of the questions posed so far.

The IP was rebuilt by Central Motive, a certified Bosch repair shop.

The timing and all settings were done in accordance with Bosch/Pinzgauer specs.

Again, timing was set to Pinzgauer spec and adjusted for altitude.

The IP and injectors were rebuilt after the previous shop "adjusted" the pump for altitude and to address the heavy smoke...they decided that they needed to cut the seal on the IP, over tighten the IP belt and ruined seals, adjust the timing after changing the belt, timing it 28deg. out, and generally destroying my starter...

The injectors were rebuilt because...why leave them as they were since the IP was being rebuilt?

The compression will be checked this weekend.

I will check the turbo for leaks this week if time permits as I have been told there was oil present on one side (can't remember which).

I use Rotella 5W-30 and it can go through almost a quart with some hard driving.

The smoke starts out heavy and black at startup, blows lighter when warm and then black when I step on it (leaving mosquitoes dead for generations wherever I drive ). It seems the smoke clears up a bit when the turbo is fully spooled up.

Cold starting is usually hard but, once warmed up, she fires up immediately.

Power output "feels" off...like there is more to be had only, it just won't come (if that makes any sense?)

As you can probably tell, from my limited descriptions, I am no mechanic. I like to do things my self, as much as possible but, have never really been trained/mentored by anyone.

I love the hell out of my Pinz and, can't wait to enjoy her (Da Pig) at her prime. I have a lot of plans for her, mostly preparing for Overland journeys! Of course, I have a ways to go and a lot of fixing to do first... I look forward to learning from this wealth of knowledge here.

Take care,

Phil