View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What went wrong with your ZF? The ZF trans works really well with the D24T, they are matched to each other very nicely -- in some ways better than the M46 setup. If I had a ZF failure I would rebuild it rather than swapping to M46 -- easier, cheaper, keeps car original, and IMHO just as nice to drive (perhaps even nicer if you drive in city traffic, as I do). In my mind the main advantages of the M46 over the ZF are all related to practicality rather than driving experience: I prefer to use a ZF-equipped car as my daily driver, but for long distance road trips that take me far from home I use a car with a manual transmission because of additional options a manual transmission provides in the case of battery/starter/glow system failure, elimination of ATF lines and cooler and associated complexity/fluid maintenance/cooling load, and etc. If I were choosing purely on which I liked driving better, in most situations I would choose the automatic.

However, I can probably point you to a source for all the conversion parts if you do want to go that way. Where are you located? Last I checked, Mike Rausch in PA (member "Volvoist" on this forum) had everything you would need, incl trans w/ correct bellhousing, pedal setup, cable, flywheel, etc. Contact him if you are interested. If you can't reach him through the forum PM me and I will pass along his info.

Last thing -- not to be particular, but if your car is an automatic, it is not an '83... 1984 was the first year for an automatic option in a 700-series diesel. Diesel option in the 760 was discontinued after 1985, so yours must be either an '84 or '85. ;-)