View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Is there a special way to test the ball joints and struts? Is there a way to test the strut top bushings?
Might have better results for questions on standard Volvo issues non-specific to D24 on some of the other (MUCH more active, MUCH larger pool of knowledgable responders, etc.) Volvo RWD forums. Here are three:

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?model=700
also look at their 700-series FAQ

http://forums.turbobricks.com/forumd...oto_forumtools

volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/

Quote:
suddenly some oil visible on/under the front (left side) shock
Oil leaks from shocks/struts are bad news. I replace them when I see oil.

Quote:
left front clunks and I also hear some metal on metal noise sometimes while driving through bad roads.... that can sound like pennies in a beer can if shaken... OR... like 2 loose metal rings shaken on a metal rod or something similar to that.
Strut top bushings will give a clonk mostly when driving up a driveway apron at an acute steering angle.

Quote:
How does a very bad ball joint sound or behave?
Mine started erratic wandering, a vague feeling of steering instability. It was hard to verify. I had the front end supported on jack stands to replace the diagonal strut rod cone bushings and accidentally saw the two halves of the balljoint move independent of each other only when the wheel was pointed in a certain direction and moved along a specific axis. Otherwise, it tested OK. Don't recall any noticeable noise.

Quote:
I am also hesitating on what type of struts needed/suggested.
Folks are saying the Bilstein HD are a bit to hard for daily driver, forget if they liked Monroe or Gabriel (or KYB?) or OEM Sachs/Boge. Think it was Sachs/Boge.