Thread: Red wagon build
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sorting out the details.

Swapping from hydraulic clutch to cable:

Converting from gasser fuel filler tube to diesel.

The diesel filler tube is enlarged to accept fatter high-speed diesel pump nozzles and does not have an evap system.

Time for some motor rehab before we rouse the diesel from several years of hibernation and neglect. It's healthy, but needs everything, cam seals, valve clearances, glow plugs, fuel lines, timing belts, cooling system refresh, etc.

Getting there.

Trick for replacing the #6 glow plug -- I find it easiest to stick it onto the end of the bus bar with the terminal nut finger tight, sneak it into the hole partly assembled, and then spin the plug in bit by bit with a combination wrench. Tedious no matter how you do it, but better than the alternatives. It is best to use the original style Volvo pinch nut on the terminal when doing it this way, though, since a normal nut can unscrew itself as you thread the glow plug in...

Narrow view of the plugs in place...

Pump timing...

I failed to take any good pictures of sorting out the wiring and fuel systems, but those were the next steps after this. I retained the stock low-pressure in-tank pump from the LH gas fuel system and eliminated the under-car high pressure pump and filter unit. The original diesel setup has no electric pumps at all, relying on the mechanical injection pump to suck all the way from the tank pickup, but it actually benefits from a low-pressure fuel feed and the in-tank pump from the LH system does that job perfectly.

OK, got fuel and electricity, finally ready for a test start in the new body. It grumbles, it coughs, it smokes. It's alive! Now for the minor bits, like brakes, suspension, wheels, exhaust, etc...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hv-M_KSPzfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sitting on fresh front suspension, full of coolant, and looking more or less like it should, although there are still various redundant gasser bits still visible in this shot that need to be tidied up. Ready for a test drive.

First fill of local B99.

OK, the car seems to be working well. Time to try it out on a brief trip from WA to Colorado and back, and see if anything breaks. On a highway exit off I-90 in Montana:

While on the trip, we pass the 400k mile mark while cruising at an easy 85 through central MT (and getting 29 MPG!). So far, so good.

Parked at the top of Teton Pass outside Jackson, WY.

Back from the trip and in for its first post-swap routine service. It survived!

No hiccups so far, but still a few more loose ends to be tied up in the interior, on the exterior, and under the hood...