View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Car wont start stopped working overnight

I have a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turbo Diesel. Car has 224k miles. It was running REALLY well before this. I got the car for next to nothing. I was running it on a 30% diesel 70% wvo blend. I know people hate WVO but I run WVO in my Mercedes Diesel as well so I tried it on this. Few days ago the car barely had any power, I changed out the fuel filter. I guess the wvo was taking out the old crud from the tank? I filter my wvo pretty well so it can't have been the wvo clogging it up.

Anyway, I was daily driving the car. I drove it home around 10pm couple nights ago and it wouldn't start up the following morning around 6AM. Car just stopped working. It went from driving GREAT to zilch. Wouldn't start up. Car cranks but won't start. Definitely fuel delivery problem. Now it was raining pretty hard so it's possible some rain might have gotten into my shed and my last batch of WVO might have gotten water contamination. SOO I was thinking that my Injector Pump had gone bad. However I cracked the fuel line that comes from the tank and goes into the fuel filter. When I crank the car no fuel comes out so I'm guessing the fuel pump has gone bad?

Now my question is, what should I do at this point? Any electrics that I should check? I've checked the fuses marked Fuel pump (fuse 1), In tank fuel pump (fuse 11), and Fuse 13 (it said in the manual it had something to do with the fuel pump). All these fuses are fine. Car has almost a full tank at the moment. If it really was a fuel quality issue then I don't think the car would have been running really well the night before.

EDIT: Ok after more reading it seems that the Diesel volvos have no fuel pumps. So it must be the IP that has gone bad. Is there a good place to pick up a used one?