View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
How would you place the Cam Timing Tool, which you need to Change the Main Timing belt, without removing the Camshaft sprocket, where the InjectionPump belt runs on ?
You are correct. I have modified my step 3. above.
Actually disagree with you there. The IP is driven directly off the cam alone, so as long as you don't R&R the rear belt or change its tension, the relationship between IP timing and cam timing does not change, therefore IP timing can be considered to represent cam timing exactly. If you end up with the same relationship of IP to crank after a belt change, then you've also confirmed the same relationship of cam to crank. If you really want to change the front belt without touching the rear, and you do that without removing the front cam pulley, then you can indeed get away with just confirming same IP timing afterwards, provided your goal is to have it run the same way. If the timing is close but slightly off, you can make small adjustments to it by altering front timing belt tension via moving the water pump. (Tighter = more advance, slacker = retard)

So even if your "after" timing isn't quite identical, you may still be able to get it where you need it without popping the pulleys off. As long as you're ultimately able to achieve an identical pump timing setting AND appropriate tension on the front timing belt (not too loose OR too tight), then you're good to go, you've successfully gotten away with a shortcut and you don't need to use the cam timing tool or procedure.

However, if getting the timing where you need it requires running the new belt too loose OR too tight, then you have to first set belt tension where it needs to be and then time everything according to proper procedure. So that is why you still want to be *ready* (and equipped with necessary tools) to do the full job, even if you're going to initially try to skip some steps this way.

Of course, before even attempting any of this, the thing you DO want to be 100% confident of is that the relationship of CAM to IP is perfectly correct before you start. In other words, unless you KNOW this to be the case, you're just trusting the last guy who worked on it to have gotten the cam timed to the crank correctly. Unless I have firsthand knowledge that it's right (i.e. I myself was the one who did it last or have previously verified it), I wouldn't readily make that assumption. In your case, since IIRC another forum member with D24 knowledge did the last belt change, it may be relatively safe to count on, but still you're running on faith there - up to you whether or not you're comfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma
If you replace only the front timing belt without disturbing the cam pulleys (front and rear), and the IP timing retains the same setting as it did before the TB replacement, then we can say the relationship between crankshaft/camshaft/IP has remained the same.
+1