View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default M46 Overdrive relay, 5th gear

My 745 d24t has the m46 transmission as well. Today I started the car, idled for about 10-12mins then drove away slowly. I have to mention that my overdrive (5th gear) usually does not work until I drive for about 2miles/or 5-8-10minutes and then it functions normally without any issues… Absolutely no problems thereafter. (I know it from a good source that it is normal for an older m46 to engage later).Today as I was driving home with a relatively cold engine and I was waiting for the tranny to `warm up`. As always, after a couple of minutes of driving I tried to switch into 5th but it did not happen. I tried again a few times and the system warmed up by then so it engaged nicely as it always does. Then I drove another few miles with no isssues at all, like everything was normal and THEN I had to slow down because of traffic and I switched back to 4th and then to 3rd (traffic). This time I saw something I never experienced before in this car: the 5th gear`s green light was ON and the tranny was in 2nd or 3rd I think. Not sure though. ...I said: how? And then took it out (pushed the overdrive button on the knob and continued driving but when the next time I needed the 5th gear again, it did not work anymore. As I was trying and trying, I even heard a click coming out from the dash (as I pushed the button). Also, it clicked by itself but 5th gear never came back to life. I heard that click (or tick), click, every 2-3 seconds for like half a minute and then never again. Do you have an opinion about this thing? I think my overdrive relay went to heaven. I did not have the time and patience to do major research at 11pm but I did check the fuse (#12) and it was alright. I don`t think that my knob is malfunctioning btw. The wires inside are in ok condition and the knob is not loose so the connection is good.
Things to know about my m46 OD: 1, it always needs some time to work but then it works perfectly. 2,if the gear shift (=the stick)is pushed to the left when car was in 4th, OD disengaged by itself (sometimes IF passenger or vibration pushed the shifter a bit towards the left) 3,My OD green dash light (5) never came up in gears other than 5th but today it did once, I believe. 4, I never noticed this click-by-click sound before, coming from the dash, middle area, maybe. Like my od relay was on-off-on-off a number of times but my od green light never came on again and I had to drive home in 4th gear (40mph @ ~2000rpm)
I do clutch when using my OD, up and down too. I was suggested to do so but on the other diesel m46 Volvos I had I never did and they were all fine for long long years. Now I do clutch when switching in and out of 5th. I don`t think an OD relay would cost more than 50-60bucks but I might be wrong.(The click click noise is gone, disappeared but still no 5th gear...)I am not sure if the relay can be/should be heard when driver switches into /out of 5th gear. I remember that in my d24 240 it was possible to put the car into 4th and then press the OD button and the green 5 would come on immediately even if the engine was NOT running. I can`t do this with my d24t 745, just curiosity...is that normal that when I put the 745 m46 into 4th and then switch 5th, with engine off, the 5th dash light would NOT come up. ?? Just wondering...

Last edited by RedArrow; 02-26-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Additional info