View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Supporting Member

In my quest to fix the reverse (and to a lesser extent) and forward starting-off judder, I replaced the LH motor mount and the trans mount.

It was getting especially bad; seemed to be combining with a distinct thud-thud-thud at times.

To recap: Replacing the front crossmember with the newer reinforced style (and more importantly, non-cracked), and shimming the driveshaft carrier upwards helped some, but problem persisted, and was getting worse again. Mounts were the next items to replace.

Off to a great start! Removing the LH motor mount was easier than I remembered! Only had to remove the (easier) bottom nut, and it came right out! O, this is going to be a piece of cake! Ha-ha, I'll be done before dinner! Hey, wait a minute:::::::::: what holds the motor mount to the motor????????????

THAT would explain the thud-thud-thudding on takeoff. 700+ pounds of engine doing the Riverdance on that poor mount.

Well, I really did end up getting the rest out:

Old (reconstructed) vs. new:

Think this is getting pretty common: Rubber is stamped "Volvo Germany" but the box is labeled "Made in China" Wonder which is true? Note the date on the label: 9/3/2013. I ordered it on 8/30/2013. Talk about Just-In-Time supply chain!!! I call it Made-To-Order!!! This is from Rock Auto, by the way. $3.52. We'll see how long it lasts!

I didn't get a chance to test it extravagantly but a quick launch backing upwards out of the driveway, turning around and backing back down showed less drama starting off, both back and front. Didn't want to push my luck because:::::

Of course there is a casualty from this exercise; there always is.

I noticed small drips of coolant down off the bellhousing. Following the trail upwards it appears to be coming from the flange at the rear of the head that the oil cooler hose attaches to.

Maybe I crunched that flange too hard against the firewall during my efforts to raise the engine and tranny to change the mounts? I had a cherry picker pulling the front of the engine, and a floor jack under the trans at the same time.

What are my options here?

Last edited by ngoma; 09-11-2013 at 12:17 AM.