View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Default rear-axle rebuild volvo>>jeep cherokee I

A few weeks ago i wanted to change my rear-axel to a different ratio.(3.54 in stead of my 3.73)Suprisingly I had already a 3.54 ratio but I did find out when the axle already was removed from my ’78 245 diesel &^&(%#$#@!!
I wanted the ratio “longer” because I get crazy from the dieselsounds on the highway.It’s running at 2500rpm with a speed of 100KM/hr.So what to do now???On the different fora I already red some info about the DANA 30 volvo uses.I borrowd a complete set of ring and pinion from a 4x4 shop nearby and also got some axles for free from a member of the dutch Volvo 240 forum. With that stuff I began to puzzle but it didn’t appear to fit one way or another.Volvo doesn’t use the DANA stuff in the way Jeep does I’m afraid……Seems that Volvo uses the Housing/pumpkin like DANA 30 and the pinion in dana 35 style / length.There are differences in many ways so I gave up the investigations…
But I didn’t gave up the wish of a longer ratio, I also red that DANA offers a ratio of 3,07:1 and even under 3.07!!!!So I wanted a 3.07 ratio and diceded to do a axle re-tube as they name it in 4x4 world.In the story below I place some pictures and a little description .I will not claim to be the inventor, a lot of info I got from the WWW so now it’s the time to contribute some myself I think.

5 axles, i bought another one from Jeep Cherokee last week, that makes 6!!That one has already a 3.07 ratio and an LSD diff. standard “on board”
-jeep cherokee 3,55
-volvo 3,54 2X
-volvo 3,74 2X

This is the inside of the Jeep DANA35 axle with a ratio 3,55 i borrowed the axle and would place the ring and pinion in it of 3.07 i also borrowed.But i (again) red the carrierbreak of a DANA35 is 3.33<break>3.55 so i had to have an other carrier and make all adjustments from zero.That time i could buy an axle with a ratio of 3.07 alrady installed and also LSD.
Carrierbreak means that one carrier cannot hold al gears/rings available for that axle.So DANA makes 2 carriers to fit either the lower or the higher gears (rings).For DANA30 / Volvo the break is 3,54<break>3.74.

The axles togheter , above the jeep under the volvo

The Volvo axle is already demolished, i grinded out the plug-welds to keep the axletube free from damage and lost the pumpkin.

Pumpkin /housing comparison; the lenght coversurface-pinionfront is the same, the width is 40mm smaller from a Volvo axle.

A plasmacutter suits fine to remove the 3 plugwelds per side wich holds the axletubes from turning.With this method I loose the jeep-tubes but I don’t need them anymore…..

Pressing out the tubes after cutting the welds,look securely for burrs which can damage your bore in the pumpkin, first press for 3-4 mm, examin and grind burrs if necessary .

Measuring from the axle-angle compared to the coversurface is importand to get a good pinionangle later with the new axle under the car.A good set of measure-tools is very handy to get the exact angle.