View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Where are folks getting their injector nozzles? I just pop tested my injectors, pressures were ok but one pees and drips. Cleaning did not help so I'm in the market for replacement nozzles. Are VW GTD nozzles an appropriate upgrade to an otherwise stock engine?
There is a great outfit just to the north of us, up in Bellingham, called MercedesSource that can get you the Monark nozzles. They deal mostly with Mercedes parts, since that is their specialty, but they are the main US distributor for Monark injection parts. Monark stuff is generally thought to be of higher quality than Bosch, since their needle tip design is more advanced and their products are made in Germany, while Bosch stuff is all produced in India and China now. I put a set of Monarks into the '84 244 Diesel I mentioned earlier and have been very impressed with the results. More power, more torque, better response, less smoke, quieter, smoother, and the difference in cold starting is remarkable... the car now starts up and is instantly smooth and quiet, almost as if it had been on a block heater or something and was already warm. Mileage has also improved noticeably, by about 2 mpg.

I have another set of the same Monark nozzles that I am getting ready to put into my 760 TD sedan. Hoping for equally good results with that one.

You can contact Kaia at MercedesSource at 1-360-715-BENZ. Since their main business is in selling Mercedes nozzles, they don't stock the ones needed for the VW/Volvo engine, but they are able to get them on special order in about two weeks. They are worth the wait. The part number you want is Monark 039 305 138, which is equivalent to the Bosch DN 0 SD 273 spec -- the nozzle to go with if you want a little more power without sacrificing MPG or dealing with additional smoke. They cost $20 each so only really a buck or two more than the Bosch.

MercedesSource is a great group of people to deal with -- they really try to help you out. I know you also said you liked to try to use local suppliers when possible -- you will like these guys. If enough people start ordering these nozzles, they might start stocking them, which would be great since it would bring price down, make them more readily available, and be good for their business as well.