View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Nice find!

Bummer that someone took the turbo, since they certainly will have trouble using it on anything else. I hope they left the oil supply and return lines attached to the engine? I have a couple of spare D24T turbos in good shape that I would be willing to sell. The irritating part is that whoever stole that turbocharger also stole the turbo-to-downpipe gasket, which is getting hard to find and will not be useful to whoever bought it. Too bad. You will be able to find one with some effort.
I thought about that. If I do get a D24T turbo, I'll have to round up that gasket. I was considering putting a slightly upgraded T3 on the engine once I get it going. 115 HP isn't going to be very inspiring in a car that had a 200 HP engine from the factory. In that case, I wouldn't have to worry about the stock downpipe and would weld on a different downpipe to turbo flange.

One fly in the ointment is finding a shifter boot/console for the 960 that will work. I think I can put a later 960 center console in and install a boot. It sure would be easier to use a stock part and I've contacted a couple of guys I know in England who may can help me.

Quote:
Fuel filler comparison, gasser on left, diesel on right. Good idea to get the filler cap from the diesel too. I can describe what I did to modify the fuel lines and venting system from the gas car -- that part is not hard, no need to worry about getting the tank and lines, just the filler. Plus the 960 wagons came with a nice extra large 19-gallon fuel tank anyway... which you will want to keep regardless.
The donor car is an '83. Aren't the filler neck/fuel senders different from the early to late cars? I know the '85 740's used a different sender arrangement than the later cars; in the later cars, the fuel filler coupling hose goes directly into the sender while the earlier cars have the fill pipe go into a different part of the tank.

Quote:
And here is what it looks like installing a D24T drivetrain "module" from below... disconnect the front suspension and steering and it is a piece of cake. I did it without even unhooking the power steering hoses from the donor car.
Wow, that's crazy! How did you pick up the front of the car? Overhead beam?