View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
A few things I want to get shot of, just to eliminate vac lines, Making it simple to spot and work in, and make look tidy.
EGR, Boost pressure warning...
Can these be removed without ill effect?
I have a few sensors dotted around the wing area, I understand that the inlet manifold goes to a tee on the injection pump, from there it goes off to the bottom of the engine to the cold start coolant feed, that goes up to what I assume is the boost pressure sensor.
Can anyone give me advice on what needs to stay and what can be disconnected and removed?
I do have a boost gauge in the cab so rises in boost will be spotted.
Removing the entire EGR system will tidy up the area quite nicely, with no ill effects. This includes the microswitches on the IP throttle lever, the vac lines running out along the firewall to the airbox, to the metal disk diaphragm (and can remove that itself) on the opposite side, to the heater hose/drain valve under the vacuum pump.

Do keep the vacuum line that runs from the rear of the intake manifold to the ip. Mine tees to the instrument panel boost gauge, where does yours tee to?

The other best tidying up I did was to remove the EGR metal piping that runs between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Removed all that at its flanges and installed simple blockoff plates in their place. Gave much better access. That area was constantly greasy dirty, solved that by replacing the turbo/intake manifold interconnect hose, 1-7/8" (48mm) silicone radiator hose, now it stays clean.

The boost warning never worked on any of my cars so I suppose you don't really need it.