View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Did you notice your fan clutch behaving any differently? Maybe a little more "active" than usual?
I think the fan clutch was fully engaged the whole time, as I didn't notice it kicking on and off after the initial engagement. This was a bit surprising as it used to cycle much more and I often felt it wasn't engaged when it should have been based on engine temps.

Those points about the thermostat design are interesting.... it makes me think that the D24 cooling system might be such that the thermostat tends to close when the fan clutch engages and coolant temps drop slightly. Might that start an opening/closing oscillation that leads to poor cooling efficiency? If so, that could explain why an 80C thermostat would seem to keep the engine cooler than an 87C thermostat despite an over 100C engine. I would expect to see coolant temp oscillation during steady state hill climbing with a logging temperature system similar to that described by 240diesel in this thread. However, I don't think the test conditions in his thread were severe enough to induce such behavior.

I can now run the engine fairly hard uphill in hot weather with the A/C on when not towing. I sold the boat to my dad, but if I get another sailboat it will be a much lighter one- perhaps a 750 lb Montgomery 15.

Last edited by casioqv; 09-02-2013 at 06:15 AM.