View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Got to work on one of these yesterday and found it an interesting struggle. The one I was dealing with had a manual trans in it, and I was not able to find any viewing window into the bellhousing to look at a TDC mark on the flywheel. It had had an IP put on it some time ago and the guy who did it got the timing off enough that it would not run. I spent a while searching for a timing mark, even pulled the slave cyl inspection cover off and it was looking like I might have to drag the starter out, there's no opening in the BH anywhere. Finally ended up deciding to just time it off the cam going by seat of the pants and got it running OK, but still hoping to have a chance to get a numerical value on it. Unfortunately info seems to be in very short supply for these motors in Pinzgauers, Hecklebone if you have a source for repair manuals for these, I could use the info...

In any case it seems like you're fortunate to have an automatic in yours -- looking at your pictures it looks like your setup is much easier to work on.

BTW, quite a rig overall, looking at the underside of it, it is pretty clear that they don't share any genes with normal passenger vehicles....