View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks for all the great help -- I really appreciate it.
Not much smoke, just a little white smoke when it would finally start. Maybe cranked over 15 times and would eventually start after I would depress the pedal to the floor. After it started it would run fine.
I started nosing around and noticed that the cold start device was disconnected. I re-engaged it and then it was starting about the same as before -- always started but not easy and took a while. I decided to change the fuel filter. I have driven the car about 3500 miles since I bought it and I have no idea when the previous owner changed it before. He did a complete tear down and rebuild about 8500 miles ago so I bet I was still running the original fuel filter. I decided I would change the oil and air filter as well. After all that was done it started right up instantly and is running great.
The guy that changed the IP belt (the second time) has worked on some VW's in the past and he does have the tools. This was his first Volvo but he said it was basically the same just on the back of the engine which makes it a literal pain in the back. He doesn't see many VW's either. I live in rural Missouri and he gets mostly pickup trucks and tractors. Anyway, he is pretty confident and has done it before on VW's. His shop actually rebuilds Bosch VE IP's too so he is very familiar with the pumps. Also the last belt that was too tight broke within 15 miles.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to say thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll need more help in the future since I'm new to these cars.
Brett