View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So these are the 273s correct? Pop pressure is where I set mine to as well. I'm quite happy with the results. Sounds like its time for a bigger turbo!

What do you have in it for a clutch?

Jason
Right, the Monark equivalent of the Bosch 273, the part number ends in 138. I posted the complete P/N somewhere on here a while back. Very pleased with the performance. It does need a larger turbo now, as well as other stuff to bring it all up to the same level -- probably should do a D24 intake or at least eliminate the boost dump valve, plumb an intercooler, larger exhaust and someday a pump from Giles. Picked up a 1983 D24T pump from the wrecking yard a few weeks ago (the best ones, the only year for the turbo pump with no EGR or altitude compensation junk on it but with the manual shutoff lever) and will send it up to him sometime when I've got the funds.

Exhaust currently is the stock size with both stock mufflers removed and one straight-through muffler at the rear. Quite loud, louder than I want it really since it attracts too much attention, but it sounds mean. I think there is still some restriction from the small size of it, since the motor seems strongest from 2500 to around 4000 rpm, but then still begins to run out of breath as you approach 5000. From a rolling start in 1st, most of the time it is a little slow to pick up but then once the tach hits about 3000 it often breaks the tires loose! The M46 has a very short first gear which is part of the reason for that -- I think a taller first would be better, since it runs out of revs very fast in first if you launch hard. Does do nice brakestands now though.

Jason, what is the power band on yours like now that you have a big turbo and exhaust on it? Probably a little doggy below 2000 but then strong right up past 5000? I guess you wouldn't know how it is below 2000 at WOT since your torque converter masks that... once you get the manual gearbox swapped in you'll see, these things do require a fair amount of shifting to keep them on the boil if you are trying to move fast.

Clutch is still the original one with 122k on it. Seems to be holding up OK for now but its live just got quite a bit harder now that I've turned the heat up on the motor (can't seem to keep my foot out of it ). Trying to minimize the amount of abuse I give it but it's hard...