Thread: Jason's old car
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Doesn't the headgasket/block hold them in? And there is a ridge to keep them from rotating?

I have heard about staking them in 5 places, as in a 5-pointed star, the top positioned at the precup hole so as to avoid interfering with the headgasket fire ring.

Did the headgasket leak oil out down the side of the block?
Head gasket was good as far as I could tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
That's the downfall to these motors and high HP. My last head that I sent out to the rebuilder needed three of the chambers replaced as they where cracked (this head came from one of my built engines that was running a maxed 10mm pump and super 60 turbo with large FMIC pushing around 25lbs).

The builder I use for my heads has many years working on these heads, they always pull the chambers and re-set them in the head.

Depending how bad your head is you might be able to get a different chamber to fit snugly in the head.

The builder I use is Aluminum head rebuilders in Portland Oregon.
Having no rod bearings caused the piston to hit the head and it's pretty loose. The other one that's loose isn't bad.

Thanks for the lead on that shop. I'll give them a call. I guess I'd like to find a more permanent fix for the precups.