View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46
Default Pump Adjustment Theory

Hey guys, I know the basics have been covered but they don't seem to describe my situation. I also have a question about theory regarding the pump. The issue I'm having is that after turning down fuel to get less smoke at low rpm/high load, I'm getting grey/white smoke at full boost. Is this a sign of running lean? The greenbook calls the lda a fuel limiter, meant for reducing fuel at low charge pressure. So, I take from this that the d24ts have more fuel overall than the d24s, and the diaphragm is just to limit that at low charge pressure/high load. This seems to be contrary to much of the information on the net. I don't fully understand the description of the operation of the device on the pump, but it is called a fuel limiter, not a fuel enrichment device.

So, the question becomes, to achieve max power/least smoke at low rpm:

Start by tuning main fuel to get max power with least smoke at full throttle, then bring back LDA to limit smoke at low rpm

or

Start by turning main fuel as low as possible to get least smoke at low rpm/full load, then turn in LDA to get more fuel at full boost.

Trying to wrap my head around this.