View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_d24t View Post
I would like to hear all of your personal experience to rebuild the engine and D24 in general. I know it depends of wear, but did you needed to rebore the cylinder with oversize piston or simply new ring set... Doing overhaul, would you suggest me to change everything in new? (crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc..)
Good that you have the greenbook. There you will find the specs required for deciding which parts need replacing or overhauled. It is a matter of measurement and inspection. Otherwise how do you know you will need crankshaft bearing, valve, connecting rod bearings, etc.? The bottom end on these engines are usually robust. The more common problems are head warpage from overheating, piston/valve collision from broken timing belt or improper repair (insufficient tightening of crankshaft pulley).

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a complete overhaul? I see lots of black smoke in the first photo, but that might be caused by incorrect IP tuning or timing.

ZF 4HP22L is a good match for the D24T. M46 can get better fuel economy, but would require D24T style bellhousing, pilot brg., clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg., etc. And pedals, cable, mount, driveshaft. And shifter, shifter cage, rubber and leather boots, OD wiring and relay.

If the automatic is working good I would leave it in there.