View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 AM

Hi all,

Still here! Been mega busy with uni stuff, coursework load is always at it’s heaviest at this point in the semester, but still going not the only thing I’ve been busy with, been playing with this in spare time too, as those who are friends with me on facebook may have seen.

Our season opener at the Tour of Epynt 2014 didn’t go so well though with a retirement on the road section coming back to service after stage two. Suspected headgasket failure we think, but it remains to be seen how much further damage was done in the resulting overheat and whether this will effect the plans for the remainder of the season! Still, could have been worse!

So, on to the subject of this thread! Car! In anticipation of plans that are afoot (i.e. stripping the underseal and repairing all rust, before re undersealing for the next 25 years), what is the best option for the underbody protection of the car following this?

At the moment I’m considering two options:

1) POR15, very well recommended, one treatment, VERY hard and very good at stopping rust. Not really designed for use under cars and arguably possibly too hard and prone to cracking? Nigh on impossible to overpaint due to hardness apparently, and likes to be applied ONLY to perfectly clean bare metal. Certainly the reputation is that this stuff is unbelievably good at protecting metal, but what if I ever needed to take it off!
2) 2) Epoxy based paint. (Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSTBUSTER...9a59f1&afsrc=1) Spray able from a normal spray gun, similar priced, and I believe what modern underseal is based on? Can be used in primer form and then overpainted with stone chip type paint and then chassis black, which I think would look more OEM, and also stand up to road use, stones etc better?

What are people’s opinions, and where should I obtain materials from?

Richard