View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 85 745 D24T

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Welcome to the board. Sounds like you've got a good project lined up.

I have an '83 760 same as yours, when you get it and the '85 side by side, you'll be surprised at how different the cars are. The '83 and early '84 760s are oddballs, front suspension uses different parts, a number of differences in the interior, some electrical differences too. Should make a good powertrain donor, those parts are the same. The '83 also gives you non-EGR intake and exhaust manifolds and a non-EGR, non-altitude-compensated IP to stick on the '85 that has those things if you want to use them.
Good to know about the differences, not so much concerned with the suspension, in fact I've been meaning to see what upgrades came along after '85 with the 700's and/or 900's that would be bolt ons (bigger brakes, sway bars, etc.)

Interior will stay all '85, I'm really not a fan of the way the automatic climate control setup looks, I prefer the manual controls in the 740 so all that still will stay. I never noticed the EGR stuff on the 85 but then again I've never looked for it either, im sure a side by side look will probably beneficial for me since I've been out of the Volvo game for so long.

Quote:
I can relate to the buying experience as well, I once bought an '85 TD wagon as a parts car from a guy who lived in what amounted to a riverside bog near Everett, WA. The car was so rough that once I pulled the good drivetrain from it, for use in a different project, there was nothing else worth keeping. The guy had plans to fix it up and drive it. He should have thanked me for saving him from that mistake but instead he wouldn't budge on his too-high asking price, which I paid without much argument just to get the hell out of there.
Yup, I basically did the same thing with the last Typhoon I bought, I was looking at it as a parts truck anyway, did negotiate down a bit, but he took my offer almost immediately so then I was kicking myself the whole 12 hour drive home that I didn't hit him lower. Oh well, I got what I wanted and in the long run didn't lose money, but saving another $100-$200 would have been nice.

Quote:
Sounds like a couple of bad injectors is a good guess but you may want to check valve clearances too on those weak cylinders, if it has been neglected those may not have been looked at in a long time. I've had injectors stick sometimes where they let compression burp back into the injector, which pumps the fuel system full of air and makes the engine run poorly and hard to restart. Could be another thing to look for if loss of prime is something you encountered. Usually with these if you crack the line nut with the engine running it will pour out foam, easy to find. Otherwise leaky seals in the IP could do it too.
I was contemplating some fuel injector cleaner or some other additives just for the hell of it, it had 3/4 tank in it, but now I have to assume the fuel is 3-4 years old and the stuff that was in the old fuel filter resembled iced tea more than it did diesel fuel.

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing how it progresses, sounds like it will be fun.
Ill make a project thread in about a month or so I guess, going to look at a gasser 745 out in PA this week for some wagon specific parts for the 85, so we'll see how that goes.

1985 745 GLE D24T ZF22 || 1983 760 GLE D24T M46 (Parts Car) || 1989 745 Turbo B230FT AW71 (Parts Car)
1993 GMC Typhoon #0180 || 1993 GMC Typhoon #1579 || 1992 GMC Typhoon #1068
2007 Chevy Trailblazer 3SS || 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 || 1952 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Photobucket | Fuelly | YouTube