View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you've got a good project lined up.

I have an '83 760 same as yours, when you get it and the '85 side by side, you'll be surprised at how different the cars are. The '83 and early '84 760s are oddballs, front suspension uses different parts, a number of differences in the interior, some electrical differences too. Should make a good powertrain donor, those parts are the same. The '83 also gives you non-EGR intake and exhaust manifolds and a non-EGR, non-altitude-compensated IP to stick on the '85 that has those things if you want to use them.

I can relate to the buying experience as well, I once bought an '85 TD wagon as a parts car from a guy who lived in what amounted to a riverside bog near Everett, WA. The car was so rough that once I pulled the good drivetrain from it, for use in a different project, there was nothing else worth keeping. The guy had plans to fix it up and drive it. He should have thanked me for saving him from that mistake but instead he wouldn't budge on his too-high asking price, which I paid without much argument just to get the hell out of there.

Sounds like a couple of bad injectors is a good guess but you may want to check valve clearances too on those weak cylinders, if it has been neglected those may not have been looked at in a long time. I've had injectors stick sometimes where they let compression burp back into the injector, which pumps the fuel system full of air and makes the engine run poorly and hard to restart. Could be another thing to look for if loss of prime is something you encountered. Usually with these if you crack the line nut with the engine running it will pour out foam, easy to find. Otherwise leaky seals in the IP could do it too.

Looking forward to hearing how it progresses, sounds like it will be fun.

Last edited by v8volvo; 08-05-2016 at 07:58 AM.