View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
If throttle lever is moving, the next thing to suspect is the governor linkage inside the IP is stuck. It can be disasssembled on-car for inspection.
I respectfully disagree. A governor problem won't cause the engine to quit. I suspect the same thing that's making it quit is causing it to be unable to raise engine speed. A fuel supply restriction will do that.

If there is indeed a problem in the IP, I'd suspect stuck transfer pump vanes. That would explain failure to start until positive pressure were applied via a booster pump, and inability to run properly now.

But first step without question is to look for a blockage in the fuel system. That's both the most likely, IMO, and by far easiest/cheapest to find and fix. Things like that are always the best starting point!

OP, how does it run when it's idling? Is it smooth/quiet/clean? Or is the idle rough, or do you see some smoke? When it dies, can you start it back up immediately, or do you have to wait and let the electric pump run for a while first?

Last edited by v8volvo; 07-15-2015 at 07:27 AM.