View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
I'm thinking (hoping) the timing has somehow slipped, but could it be something more serious, like a pump problem?
Not sure how this could happen, most of my experience with timing "slipping" is when tightening the rear camshaft pulley bolt, the pulley shifts position and ends up with slightly different timing (usually slightly more in the retarded direction). Thinking about it, to "slip" timing while driving, either of the camshaft pulleys, or the crank pulley, or possibly the IP bracket would have to change position. Maybe also waterpump.

Quote:
It's just had a rebuilt pump with a chinese 12mm head (300 miles ago). Someone told me to keep the revs down for the first few hundred miles to "run it in" as some people have had problems with them.
What kind of problems did they have? Similar to yours?

Opening up the IP (you changed the hi-press head) always brings the possibility of foreign material entering the IP. What were your workshop conditions like? When working with IP or injector internals, clean room environment is crucial. I heard of a Bosch VE type IP knocked out by a fiber from a thread from a shop rag.

Quote:
Car still starts, but sounds way too advanced, and won't idle on it's own. Can't see any signs of headgasket problems, or anything exploded/leaking.
Did you forget to relax the cold start cable when setting the IP timing? That would cause more advanced timing when running at operating temp.

A clogged fuel filter made mine smoke gray lots, loss of power and unable to rev. Happened pretty quickly.