View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Hi from Arizona - trying to bring one back

Hi this is Bill from Arizona. My daughter just got her permit and when a co-worker said that he had an old volvo for sale, I was curious. Well, under 5 pounds of dust was an 85 740 2.4L TD:
- rebuilt motor, new timing belt
- new injection pump
- rebuilt turbo
- brakes good
- transmission fluid clear
- many new parts
- several factory manuals
- 90k on odometer, not registered since '98
- no rust, clean body
- alternator, battery, most EGR parts, and a few misc. parts missing
- engine wiring SHOT

The engine and pump were rebuilt in 2007, so the car has been sitting in either New Mexico or Arizona (both dry dry dry climates) since then.

I knew zilch about diesels prior, but I really like this car. After cleaning up the wiring and locating (most) missing parts, I was ready to fire it up last weekend. To that end, I had:
- pulled the tank and drained 5 gal of nasty orange brown diesel
- scrubbed and scrubbed the inside of the tank (very little rust)
- pumped gasoline then seafoam through the fuel lines prior to the filter
- changed filter and filled it with new diesel
- primed the pump (with regular diesel)
- tried to push fluid through the system (with air)
- checked the fuel valve solenoid (it clicks)
- checked the glow plugs and relay (they seem to work)

It is about 70 deg here and the plug light stays on 4-5 sec. One thing that bothers me is that I get 10V at the glow plug rail to neg. post when plugs are on. Does it really pull it down that much?

I crank and crank and it turns over but no sputtering or smoking. The guy who sold me the car said that I just need to keep bleeding the fuel lines, starting 1st at the pump manifold, then at the injectors. Any other suggestions? He also didn't think the pump had any internal rubber seals, so priming with Bio wasn't that important.

thanks!