Thread: Winter
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Unhappy Winter

It`s been very cold outside recently. The 2015 Hino 268 truck had running issues due to `extremely` (?wtf) low temperatures around -14 - -17Celsius (= 1.4F)... Visiting Hino Stealership I got the info that they received many phonecalls asking about same issues. They say fuel lines (and filter) freeze, causing running issues very similar to bad fuel and/or even the symptoms of a bad transmission. They suggested using fuel booster below -10C (=14F)....
1bottle treats 100G of diesel (=1single fuel tank only) so I ended up buying a 24-pack for now.
Using it makes the truck start better,idle smoother and run much stronger.It stinks though.Exhaust fumes coming back are terribly stinky/poisonous I`m sure. They swear it is factory recommended and won`t harm anything if used properly.Truck`s obviously under warranty btw.

We had very cold days and the Winter is not over,it will get worse;Upstate NY can easily get -20,-25C (= -13F) for many long days.
I`m wondering...can we use this product in our old-fashioned diesels?

Can/will it harm Injectors, pump, or anything? Is it worth using to get better cold-start action in our d24s,d24ts?? (Although I never had issues before,my brick start first crank at -15C)

What`s your idea about it? Ever tried it? I dont like fixing things that are not bad but if it adds protection&lubricates&cleans, then it cant be a bad idea for those who do struggle with cold.

We are talking about POWER SOURCE diesel fuel supplement/additive (=Cetane booster, the white bottle PS product, not the grey bottle OR the 911 red bottle for gummed fuel stuff)

INFO on White Bottle Fuel Supplement (for diesels):

This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation. Power Service® Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost® contains the most effective antigel additive package available in the diesel industry - no blending with No.1 diesel or kerosene is needed to achieve maximum winter protection. Power Service® Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost® keeps fuel injectors clean and boosts cetane up to 4 numbers for faster cold starts and a smoother running engine.

Winter Performance Benefits:
Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F.
Equals the performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36°F,
keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers for faster cold starts
Contains anti-icing additives — protects against fuel-filter icing

Year-Around Performance Benefits:
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant,
contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends containing up to 20% biodiesel (B20)
Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication,
protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers,
engines run smoother with less power lag
Boosts power — reduces need for downshifting
Keeps fuel injectors clean,
exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
Increases MPG — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
Disperses water in diesel fuel
Treats up to 100 Gallons

White bottle for prevention,Red bottle only if fuel is gelled-up. See pix. Before-After. LOL
THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps diesel additive cetane booster white bottle.jpg (19.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 18degrees.jpg (53.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg red diesel 911 supplement.jpg (22.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-24-2015 at 10:25 AM.