View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Bertone diesel, turbodiesel, turbo, nonturbo, 262c, 240, 740

Congratulations,
you are the owner of TWO rare and special diesel Volvos
that were never** available from factory!

They certainly are special because they adopted the d24t to fit into the shell of the 200 series, not to mention that they are the rare Bertone 262c coupe cars.

I saw the ad and planned to get them but I could not make space for two cars in time. I drove my diesel Volvo for ten hours, met the owner and had great talk about what he did when he built them. I am Extremely Happy that he did not have to scrap them. Those cars were the ideas of a vw diesel lover skilled engineer! He got the idea first, had the shop and the tools, got the skills then he saw them being born and loved them afterwards. Parts of several 240 diesels, 740 diesels were used, plus the two Bertones themselves! Quite an achievement if you ask me.

IDK why someone mentioned m46 because that is not what they are. As far as he remembered, the manual transmissions came from the manual shifter diesel 200 series Volvo. The rear end, diff,etc came from 240 diesels, etc etc. It is not nice that they were left rotting outside but hey this is life sometimes. Nothing lasts forever, including us! The hoses are all aged, return lines and coolant hoses, etc, all plastics, etc, clamps are rusty... all parts oxidized and old leaks of oil and coolant, are petrified lol... four seasons every year, started eating away these beasts pretty quickly. Ten years ago they were already 27y old! I tried to collect information mainly on how and why he built these cars. It was a very interesting story and lots of diesel talk.
I will need to recall it all and share it here with you all.

It will be a great thread, please post as many pictures as you can.
In the bicolor Bertone car (blue and black) the builder created a double filtration setup for the engine oil. That is not factory but you will see what his idea was.

The cars have several diy areas under the hood, the way he set turbo motor into the 200 shell is somewhat precise and very well made.

I would not hesitate to keep both of them on the road, although the rusty factor is very strong. They haven`t been in the garage at all, for loong long years and I am definitely sure that they haven`t been running for at least as many years, looking at the yard and the build-up around the cars, I am estimating at least 5 or 8 years of not running. The interiors are shot too, too bad because they were okay cars back in the days when he built them. According to his owner, reliable and running great, any time. AND, well adjusted bc he surely knew what he was doing.

I'm hoping both cars will get on the road to show proof that a manual swap turbodiesel 262c is indeed possible, and COOL! His d24/d24t toolkit continues life near my td wagon that appreciates it a lot. My next trip would have been the one to pick the cars up.
I have a picture of all three tds next to each other, that was something I really liked. The trained ears and eyes of the PO of your Bertones looked satisfied when my hood opened up and I started my brick... Too much silence followed...; I saw in his eyes he felt extremely sad realizing he was losing battle at keeping his old school turbodiesel babies. It was a sad and happy moment at the same time. He is 87years old, dieseling was his job, and passion. I really liked the guy, much much respect. These cars have history, keep them if you can.

PLEASE
PLEASE, do not trust the condition of the timing belts and have them redone, the right way, as soon as you can. (Note: I have seen Champion glowplugs on the shelf, please make sure to throw them far away.) I am sure that these cars haven't been running for many many years. The city usually sends out liquidation notices for a good reason (after only many years of `polluting` the street view)...

we all wish that pollution was in our yards, right?
I will try remembering all that he shared with me. He used to have d24-d24t parts mixed&combined into the same car all the time, including using modified (redrilled)nonturbo heads and ipumps, etc. He was someone who I really wanted to have as a grandfather. Tons of experience and truckloads of specific diesel knowledge on these motors that we all like.

Enjoy these cars and please keep this Thread fresh and active!!!!

I`d love to see the future life of these survivors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (211.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 01010_16abvQwXJzR_600x450.jpg (43.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 00303_gW7F6JIXRFm_600x450.jpg (42.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 01515_jDSL7OEhjEe_600x450.jpg (35.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 00k0k_cpIeSXgbPwz_600x450.jpg (46.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-27-2017 at 01:46 PM.