View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Default Update

The car has mostly sat for the past 3 weeks, as I've been concerned about driving it with the various imminent problems it has (IP belt too tight, really bad hoses, wrong timing, destroyed motor mounts etc) but haven't had time to fix any of them.

Finally got around to one of them yesterday. I bought both new motor mounts and figured I might get a trans mount too just in case. Turned out, the motor mounts were not all that bad... it was really the trans mount that was messed up. More accurately, it was pretty much gone altogether. It wasn't exerting enough forward pressure, so the whole engine/trans combo had moved back about an inch and a half. This totally screwed up the driveline and shifting, and also let the motor mounts sag back and down enough that the engine oil pan hit the steering rack. Not good.

Here is what my so-called "transmission mount" looked like. All the pieces fell out as soon as I jacked up the back of the trans. Needless to say, it wasn't doing a very good job holding the things in place... New mount made a huge difference. Car is now driveable without feeling like you are sitting inside the crankcase and having your teeth rattled out.

Also changed the oil when I was down there -- man the stuff that came out of this thing was like tar. More planned for next weekend... it's getting there...