View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Default Monark injector nozzle results

Took a while to get the Monark injectors built as I was busy with work and other projects. The 760 sat dead for about the past 6 weeks with the injectors out of it. Finally got them put together over the last two weekends. Set all 6 to ~2400 PSI breaking pressure and got them installed Monday night. The results so far have been excellent. The car did not have more power immediately -- without changing anything else, the only effect of the injector nozzles was smoother/quieter running, easier starting, and no smoke at all. Power was about the same. This is relative to new Bosch injector tips, not worn ones. The improvement in running and driveability was noticeable.

Today I got around to replacing the transmission fluid and once that was done I was ready to try putting some additional power down, so I turned the pump up. The major difference with these injectors is they are able to flow much more fuel and produce a huge amount of power with no smoke. I turned the fuel quantity screw in all the way until it bottomed against the protective sheetmetal collar that prevents it from being screwed in too far. With the previous injectors (new Bosch 293s), turning the screw in that far resulted in large amounts of black smoke. With the Monarks, there is still no smoke and the power is remarkable. The car now can smoke the tires through first gear and spin them again in second. In the rain even third gear is dangerous and first and second are almost unusable unless the pavement is perfectly smooth.

I am going to cut the collar off the fuel screw and experiment with turning it in further still. Already this change has had the effect of making the car feel like it is 1000 lbs lighter. Highly recommended.