View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
What gives with these things? Why are they disconnected or missing??
Because someone who worked on it before was lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
1. Fails over to the cold start mode-- leaving the IP to run in overly advanced condition all the time, not good for the engine.

2. Replacement parts hard to find-- the thermostatic actuator (waxstat) inside the housing appears to be NLA or close to it.

3. Cold start device, even when working as designed, is of limited value in more moderate climates. Disconnecting it does not produce any real hardship.
Cold start thermostat is readily available from any Bosch outlet -- it was briefly on backorder but a new batch has been produced. (Part # 1 467 202 302) Very easy to find. They seem to have a lifespan of about 20 years -- could be worse.

Disconnecting it doesn't prevent the engine from being started, so it's not a real hardship in the sense of disabling the car, but it does detract from the experience of using it... If you don't mind the feeling of driving a cold-blooded clunker and your neighbors aren't bothered by smoke on winter mornings, then it's no big deal, but I think letting things like this go is what can sometimes lead to someone losing their love (or at least their day-to-day tolerance) for an older car. Matter of opinion, I know. But this is far from difficult or expensive to fix properly... easier than adding a cable for sure, and more pleasant than leaving it disconnected!

If you live where it never gets cold at all, and/or you have head studs and perfect injectors and run static timing pushing 1mm, and you have a manual gearbox, then perhaps it might not have much noticeable effect. I find mine makes a difference even starting on 65F summer mornings -- not that it wouldn't run without it, but runs better with it, and doesn't feel as much like a car I have to make excuses for driving.

YMMV.

Last edited by v8volvo; 04-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.