View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Ok cool. same cross member. Can I not just fab mounts? I ask only cuz 240 diesels are getting very, very scarce. I honestly don't remember when I knowing saw one last.

Driveshaft length I'm not really worrying about right now b/c I'm swapping to a T5 or AX5 @ some point if not @ the same time, but thanx for bringing it up b/c I completely spaced that

radiator I figured was common sense, but once again, thnx for pointing it out. I'm still a newb on here & I know y'all know nothing about me or what I know & don't know.

Ok, they overheat just like Jeep/Chrysler/AMC l-6's don't last. Heard both stories, read y'all saying they don't do it, so I guess it a routine maintenance thing just like its little brother the 1.6 IDI & TD.

I always hear about these "special tools" anytime working on a VW motor comes up. what exactly are they that makes them so "special" and forces me to buy them from VW or off ebay?

I asked the "if it doesn't run" deal just as I said; any special quirks that go w/ these engines I need to watch for if I want to try and get it running again. For instance: most opposed ("boxer" to the automotive crowd) airplane engines (which is most all of them that aren't turbine or 70+ yrs. old) if they have been sitting for some time, the bottom spark plugs will be filled w/ oil from it settling in the bottom of the cylinders over time; so its a good idea to take em out and clean them. That sort of thing. Things an inexperienced outsider like myself won't know. I also asked b/c I hadn't contacted the guy w/ the donor car yet, and apparently the engine ran fine, he parked it because the tranny is shot and he lost all forward gears. If I have time next week I'll probably go look @ it.