View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Steve, what did you do about a pilot bearing for the gasser trans you swapped in? After sleeving the crank ID, was there room for a different pilot bearing of some kind? It would be nice to be able to use a sealed pilot bearing rather than the Audi-spec open needle bearing that Volvo ultimately used.... but since space is at a premium I assume that is not an option. And in any case I would figure that if it was possible to use a better bearing, Volvo, which itself began life as a bearing company (it was an early spinoff of SKF if my memory serves correctly), would have done so....

George
Actually George, I didn't find out about the shaft sleeve until after my g/box swap was finished and operational. What I did was to consult an INA catalogue to find a suitable bearing with 1 seal and then had a sleeve made to suit the OD of that bearing and the ID of the crankshaft pocket. 15mm to 18mm if I recall ???
I could see the polished marks on the shaft OD so I figured thats what was there before. I'm not fluent in "Volvo" but I am an engineer.
I dont have a record of which bearing I used but it would not be hard to relocate. If you can re confirm the dimensions I will be happy to research it again but I'm not going to drop my box out to take measurements :-)

cheers, Steve