View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 03:52 AM

Hi, and thanks for the reply, I've tried all that and checked all the components, everything is good. all the pulleys run true, the altenater mounting bushes are nice and solid, the alternater sits perfectly in line, all pulleys have been checked for any damage or digs, all ok. Mine is the Euro set up, alternater is above the power steering pump. There are no noises when this happens, it just quietly eats the teeth. Looking at the pulleys when the engine is running shows no wobbling, even up to 5,000 rpm, everything runs fine and the crank pulley has no movement between the two halfs and the water pump has no pulley movement either. I even asked the mechanics at the local Volvo dealer and none of them have come across this before, I'm a qualified mechanic myself but this has got me totally baffled. The engine has just over 120k genuine miles, serviced at Volvo from new so it has been looked after properly..... As an aside, my power steering pump bushes are worn to the extent you can visually see the "twist" in the pump pulley and it's 11mm out of true but I dont have any problem with the power steering belt breaking teeth, so that rules out any crank pulley problem causing the fan belt problem, it sure is a weird problem. The only other thing I can think of is if the alternater pulley is too small a diameter and causes the teeth to contact each other as they go round the pulley,,,, it does seem to be a very small pulley diameter wise but unfortunately I dont have a means of comparing it to another D24Tic as their very rare over here, would you, or anyone else know what the diameter of the alt pulley is?