View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
use ATF, it is a crime to use power steering fluid!
Same goes for the manual transmission. for the love of GOD do not use MTL in your M45,M46, and M47. Always use ATF.

Once a month on average we get customers that went to jiffy lube or oil can henry's and now there rack leaks. So I ask them if they touched the power steering unit. yes they flushed it they reply.... I check the fluid and its clear. Gosh maybe thats why the rack seals blew out. customer calls up jiffy lube, and tries to get them to pay for the new rack because of their stupidity.

And yes they will put gear lube in the manual transmissions. It whipes out the OD and makes reverse not work so great.

Use ATF use ATF use ATF!!!!!
I've never had an issue using normal power steering fluid in a Volvo, but you probably see more of them than I do... sounds like I better change my steering fluid out. Good to know.

Why do you say not to use MTL in the M46? I have heard nothing but positive reports about it. Everyone I have asked says it works great in M46s. I just bought a bunch to install into my 764 next week. What's the issue?