View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Default Before Boost Fuelling

I've been changing a few things on my pump lately, which has really improved the feel of the car, but I want to know if there is any way I can adjust the amount of smoke produced just before boost kicks in.

What I have changed:

Main fuel screw - screwed in until the collar (not ground off) is bottomed on the lock nut.
- this is the first thing I changed. At this setting, NO smoke was produced on boost (even full throttle), but a puff of smoke was created when pulling away from junctions, and on heavy throttle there was a huge cloud of black smoke just before the turbo spooled up (turbo spools around 2300 but won't reach full 10psi until 2500-2600).

Top "Smoke" Screw - to try and combat the above, I turned this out a few turns. It was sat almost flush with it's lock nut, so I wound it out so there are just over 2 threads showing now.
- the only affect this has had is that there is now less smoke pulling away from junctions under normal throttle conditions (i.e. quarter-half throttle). Doesn't seem to have reduced power, and doesn't seem to have affected the pre-boost death cloud under heavy throttle.

AFC adjustments - as i was still getting no smoke on full boost, I turned the star wheel down 1.5 turns.
- I now get a haze of smoke under full boost (10psi) and the car pulls much better on boost - felt bit lame before.

I haven't changed the position of the fuel pin.

Basically I love the way the car drives now, but I really want to get rid of the pre-boost death cloud. Also I seem to be only getting 27mpg (UK) max, however I drive it.

Car specs:

D24Tic Auto (factory intercooler)
Monark 273 nozzles @ 165 bar
Timing set to 0.95mm (sounds a bit rattly still though, which I thought meant too advanced?)
Standard airbox sucking from wing (cold air)
Cold Start disconnected
MLS 2 notch gasket