View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Default rear-axle rebuild volvo>>jeep cherokee II

This is a story of 3 parts , now you are entering part 2

While measuring all things twice or more, i saw that the left volvo-axle won’t get deep enough into the carrier, it was hold by the bearing-hole so I had to cut that axle for some mm outwards on the lathe.

The naked assembly of axle innerpieces to measure and measure and and…..

After signing Lines to the axletubes wich hold the right angle and a corresponding sign on the pumpkin i pressed the Volvo tubes into the DANA 35 pumpkin.Before i made a pipe on the lathe that exactly fits between the carrierbearingsurfaces in the pumpkin to prevent collapsion of the pumpkin while pressing with a unknow(at that time) pressure.Appears to be about 20 tonnes or so.Also I fitted a smaller pipe in the axletube to prevent the assembly from making an angle outwards of the centerline due to the pressingforce.I only have one change to do so better be sure.To make a secure connection I also used green loctite for maximum strength.

Pressing in the second tube

Plugwelding of the tubes to the pumpkin, it’s more to secure the fitting than making the axle stronger than it already is by the pressfit .I welded with little amps. To prevent the green loctite from coming loose and also not to let the tube warp so destroying the alignment!

Because i use already a electronic speedsignal i welded in a tube to hold the sensor reading the ringgearteeth.

Testing the signal while turning the ringgear

If you refer to page 234 from your camera-manual you will see that camera’s don’t like sandblasting so I only took a picture of the artist doing the job………I will continu this story later when I put the axle togheter and mounted it under the car.
Sorry fot inperfect English,normally I try to speak dutch

UPDATE

After sandblasting the axle , trailingarms, dustcovers and rod i puted on 2 layers of paint.

What drys more nice then a sunshine in “spring”……….

Look-trough axletube >> pumpkin >> axletube