View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Just ordered 6 of the Monarks. V8volvo, you must be more of a charmer than me, she charged me $25 ea, so after duty fees, tax, and shipping, the total ended up just under $200. Could take up to a month.

Almost ready for this. Pop tester is working good, ultrasonic cleaner ready w/ plenty of solution, plenty of sandpaper. Just need to find a source for shims.
Sorry. Kaia told me about that, said you had called. She scolded me about posting the price for everyone to see. Evidently I should have kept our price to myself. I work at a shop so we get a different rate. The cost to the general public is $25 each. When you see how it runs after they're in you'll agree that they are worth it.

The only real challenge to the job is getting everything squeaky clean. And you can't use any steel brushes or cleaning supplies (or scotchbrite) on any of the internal surfaces of the injector (even the insides of the outer bodies). Brass is OK but I was not able to find a brass bore brush of the right size anywhere. I ended up getting creative and used a nylon shotgun cleaning brush I got from Big 5 mounted in an electric drill. Did a great job. Between that, a compressed air supply and plenty of biodiesel it was not hard to get everything sterilized. Just be ready to spend a whole day at it, from injector removal, teardown, rebuild, testing, balancing, to reinstallation and don't rush. Extra time taken in the rebuilding process is worth it when you hear the car start up and run that much better as a result.

The 244 diesel that got the Monarks is now returning 30 mpg in mostly mountain driving. It used to get 27 before the injectors, and had less power and more smoke too. 2000 miles or so since putting them in and no issues.