View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default coolant system tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Granular green on the outside of the fittings is most likely dried antifreeze coolant. It may have been seeping from there. Otherwise, you'll want to investigate any other apparent corrosion. Change antifreeze at recommended intervals; don't use well water or hard water (or mineral water); check engine grounding connections & wires (that one behind the A/C compressor/ power steering pump is susceptible to corrosion) and do a check for electrolysis.
Yes, I will, last one is a great idea, informative website. I cant recall any coolant leaks there but a few drops at a `T` somewhere near/under VacuumPump long ago, caused by a rusty clamp down there...

I use Zerex G-05 only. If I had to add fluid for some rare reason, I used distilled water only, not mineral or purified etc junks. I`ll want coolant replaced soon (i wish i had more time), radiator flushed and one more thing that`s important. As far as I remember, PO told me that rear hose behind block hasn`t been replaced when engine was out so I`ll have a posting about that when time comes...

I`ll check all ground points, thanks, although that has been done pretty well when my ignition switch became an angry b.tch, so I got stranded in a hotel bsmt in Daytona Beach, FL Not bad...and I had to analyze lots of things to see electric issues , if any. A full disassembly of ign switch later solved the problem. WD40 & dashboard shine was found inside it. (yes, me)
So grounds are ok but will check again. Removed&Cleaned them that time...

Most of the time my alternator is pushing out 14-15V , I mean, that`s what I always see on instrument cluster gauge. Needle Might be at too high. Why?* idk. I like the idea of that coolant sponge that absorbs the extra. *Battery might be shit? Car starts always for the very first crank, even in -20celsius. I`ll check battery too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140322_204058.jpg (90.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.