View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Jason,

I have started looking into T5 swap information for my 1986 745... it has the original ZF in it now with almost 300,000 miles on it, still working fine, but I am gathering parts to build a new motor for it this summer with a VNT, hot rod pump, IC, etc and I am not going to ask the mega mile automatic to try to stand up to that.

I have been looking at different versions of the T5 that are available and found out that the GM F-body version has a shifter location that is several inches further back, as well as an input shaft diameter that is identical to that of the M46.... thinking that may be a better option than the Ford setup. I like your shifter relocation modification but if there is a version out there that already has the shifter in the right location, or close to it, that seems easier...

Did you look at the GM units when you were getting into your swap? Any reason you know of why they are not as desirable? I assume the same adapter plate still bolts up to the front of the case, don't know why they would have made that part different...

Thanks

George