View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Looks like great progress on engine and the new head.

I saw broken piston squirters once before and that was on an engine where someone rebuilt it and used non-turbo pistons, which do not have the notches in the piston skirts to clear the squirters. The skirts had been (crudely) notched by hand with a file or Dremel tool, and on some of them the notches were not deep enough so they chopped the squirter nozzles off. They were found lying in the pan on that motor. The other squirters that had not broken off had dents from contact with the pistons. Any sign on yours (the intact ones) that something similar happened or evidence of "custom" piston modification?

If they broke off on yours a long time ago and the pieces were relatively small they might have found their way into the bottom of the sump and eventually came out during an oil change.

Replacement squirters aren't too hard to find, I may have a few floating around and Anders probably has many also. Definitely want to get six good ones in the engine.

Body looks pretty good for Canada. The 700 series is much more resistant to rust than the 200 or many other cars of the era, no coincidence since Volvo emphasized it. Sounds like it will be a nice car for the road when it's finished.
Thank you for the support I appreciate!!

If I don't find any squirters i'll let you know

Finally the block is at the machinist.

Cylinder walls are fine at first sight. 0,5mm oversize rebore should be enough. Main bearing are fine, but I might change them for the peace of mind. New idler pulley.