View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSass View Post
I spoke to the diesel guy. He told me that he didn't get as far as timing the pump. It was running but it was running really rough. There WAS NO THROTTLE CONTROL. Because of that he didn't go much further into timing it.
OK, so we can't expect meaningful results until the IP is correctly static timed. But RE: No throttle control: Is is possible the throttle arm had been removed and replaced in a different position on its splined shaft? (But don't worry too much about this now. We may come back to this later).

Quote:
So I've purchased the above from ebay... but it seems that the shaft is too short?? Seriously could be operator error, lol, but we can't seem to figure it out. I swear we aren't nitwits, I promise. I've printed the greenbook section on timing from k-jet.org and the dial in the pictures appears to have a much longer shaft. How long is yours?? (lol, this is kinda a funny conversation).
Why I hardly even know you!
Seriously speaking, that short extender is the version easily (inexpensively) available nowadays. But IT WILL WORK! Just requires temporarily removing the vacuum pump that now blocks access.

HELPFUL NOTES for removing vacuum pump:
1. Loosen lower nut first, to avoid spring pressure from breaking the lower boss.
2. The actuating rod might want to slide out of the head and clatter on the floor. Try not to let it. When removing the actuating rod, mark or otherwise note its orientation-- it has to go back the same way-- same side pointing in towards the engine; that side is wear-matched to the camshaft it rides on.
3. Don't lose the large slim o-ring seal and if necessary hold it in place (groove in cover) for reassembly with a few dabs of grease or vaseline.

Quote:
Just spoke to the shop from where I purchased. It was pulled out of a running vehicle about 18-20 months ago (because vehicle was being converted to WVO). It sat for about a year. The shop picked it up, cleaned it with "diesel clean" (??), sat for 6 months, at which time I purchased it. Upon installation, the pump was primed until fuel was flowing through the lines.
Hmmm... Wonder why they would replace a working IP prior to WVO conversion.

Quote:
Because of the above suggestions, In and out banjo bolts were double checked and fuel filter was replaced because we recently purchased this wagon and don't know when it was last replaced.
Good work!

Quote:
So this is where we are now; the proper tools, the greenbook "how-to", all amped and ready to go!!! but....the short shaft of the dial?
Great, now you're on the right track! Dial gauge shorty adapter will work just as well, just requires temp. removing the vac pump for access (see above), adds 20-30 minutes overall max.

Greenbook method is good, but can be a little confusing. Here are helpful notes above & beyond, field tested (specifically post #16 in this thread):
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=930&page=2
Print that out and take it to your mechanics as well.