D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Help! My car died! (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Volvo runs for a few minutes and then dies (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1495)

dannysauter 07-13-2015 03:30 PM

Volvo runs for a few minutes and then dies

So I recently bought a 85 740 diesel that has been sitting for about a year because it died on the previous owner. At first i could not get it to start at all so I installed an electric in line fuel pump on it. Now it will fire right up but will only idle. If i press on the accelerator it will not rev up any higher. The car will run for about 5 minutes and then will die. I can start it again and it will continue to idle. I am assuming that the injection pump will need to be rebuilt but was wondering if there is anything else I should check.

v8volvo 07-14-2015 07:25 AM

Welcome to the board!

Very unlikely the problem is the injection pump. Try all other possibilities first.

Sounds like severe fuel system restriction. Did you change the fuel filter? Are there air bubbles in the transparent fuel line from the filter to the IP? Where did you install the electric pump?

How old is the fuel in the tank?

Where are you located?

FJ40Jim 07-14-2015 04:54 PM

Dumb question, but are you sure the actual throttle lever on the IP is moving when the pedal is pressed? There is a complex path from pedal to cable to multistage bellcrank to IP.

If throttle lever is moving, the next thing to suspect is the governor linkage inside the IP is stuck. It can be disasssembled on-car for inspection.

v8volvo 07-15-2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJ40Jim (Post 10117)
If throttle lever is moving, the next thing to suspect is the governor linkage inside the IP is stuck. It can be disasssembled on-car for inspection.

I respectfully disagree. A governor problem won't cause the engine to quit. :o I suspect the same thing that's making it quit is causing it to be unable to raise engine speed. A fuel supply restriction will do that.

If there is indeed a problem in the IP, I'd suspect stuck transfer pump vanes. That would explain failure to start until positive pressure were applied via a booster pump, and inability to run properly now.

But first step without question is to look for a blockage in the fuel system. That's both the most likely, IMO, and by far easiest/cheapest to find and fix. Things like that are always the best starting point! ;)

OP, how does it run when it's idling? Is it smooth/quiet/clean? Or is the idle rough, or do you see some smoke? When it dies, can you start it back up immediately, or do you have to wait and let the electric pump run for a while first?

FJ40Jim 07-16-2015 07:00 AM

Absolutely, the governor will not cause it to die. I was thinking just in terms of "idles but won't rev up".

Fuel restriction and/or air leakage in supply line is the #1 thing to investigate.

jbadberg 07-25-2015 10:07 AM

Also chech for return fuel. If the pump has restriction it will run until
Case pressure will cause the pump to not let the plungers move correctly
Some pumps have a check valve to hold fuel in the pump. And it plugs
With small pieces of the governor ring coming apart

R.Mojica 08-26-2015 06:15 AM

nobody is thinking a clogged fuel filter could be the issue here? Or at least partly.

ngoma 08-26-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.Mojica (Post 10247)
nobody is thinking a clogged fuel filter could be the issue here? Or at least partly.

Of course! Reread post #2 above.;)