D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Diesel Engine and Drivetrain (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   power steering bad vibration (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1268)

jpliddy 06-05-2014 12:40 PM

power steering bad vibration

hi all
well over the last few weeks when driving my car has serious vibration when steering wheel is turned even coming out of a junction then sometimes just pulling on to the drive when steering wheel is turned slightly . do you think the problem is ATF wants changing or is it something worse i got the front end of the ground today with engine running i turned steering wheel full lock both ways and the problem was there while the engine was running i gave one of the wheels bit of a kick and it stopped .but started again on test drive it seems to do it if i go over uneven surface too . no oil leaks .
any help please

anders 06-06-2014 10:09 AM

Sounds like either a steering rack or pump issue. Hard to diagnose online, maybe someone else will chime in.

jpliddy 06-07-2014 12:33 AM

940 tdi auto 1995

hi yes pretty sure its one of those .
if i change the oil could that cure it ?

Smokeyja 06-12-2014 03:00 PM

It sound like there is air in the line . If there is air in the power steering system it will vibrate . Much like break lines the system needs to be bled . If this doesn't correct it then there must be something else wrong with the system. I just sent my ZF rack off and had it rebuilt .

jpliddy 06-13-2014 07:20 AM

940 tdi auto 1995

hi smokeyja
how do you bleed your power steering is it just by disconnecting the upper hose on the top up tank ?

Smokeyja 06-13-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpliddy (Post 8709)
hi smokeyja
how do you bleed your power steering is it just by disconnecting the upper hose on the top up tank ?

I will get back with you this evening on that. I will be having to do the same thing on my 86 245 when I put the rack back in .

RedArrow 09-07-2014 02:05 PM

PS pump tricking me out

What`s the news?
Now that I changed the left engine mount today, ps pump started vibrating a little more than it did before. I remember it wasn`t vibrating that much before. (All ps bushings are new, so that`s not the case, also, bracket passed visual inspection for cracks, no cracks, upper adjuster bar NOT bent)
I just painted the pulley, pump was removed, belts off, (+new motor mount today)so I might just have to loosen it up again and tighten back everything, worth a try.

745 TurboGreasel 09-08-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpliddy (Post 8709)
hi smokeyja

Jack the front up and steer back and forth a bunch.

I had steering wheel pulsation on right turns, it went away when I put on a different rack

jpliddy 10-01-2014 11:24 AM

940 tdi auto 1995

well at last logged back in .
good news my steering problems are now fixed after my mechanic changed the steering pump . and then the steering rack so it proved to be a faulty rack in the end i hope well no problems for the last month and a trip to ireland too .
thanks again for your support on this forum

alfiestewart78 10-22-2014 09:54 PM

I would say you have a bad pump, if you ran the pump for a long time low you more than likely burnt the seals out of the pump and should have it replaced.