D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Help! My car died! (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   why do d24 burn oil (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=847)

77volvo245 06-19-2012 06:06 PM

why do d24 burn oil

My d24t is starting to burn oil, its getting kinda frustrating . The block it has been rebuilt arpox 60,000 miles. I just put a new head on cause the.old headgasket was leaking oil/coolant. I only used fully syenthic.oil diesel rated. I let me car warm up before driving. When I did the head job the cylinders looked good.

I was thinking.of rebuilding a d24 with sleeves.

Why?

ngoma 06-19-2012 09:30 PM

Three main places could be your problem. Rings, valve stem seals, turbo. What kind of rings did you use, who did the sizing, boring, and honing?

Was it burning oil with the old head or did it start with the new one?

You are doing the right things by running synthetic and warming up before pushing it hard. Unless you mean letting it idle before driving it away. This could lead to cold-stacking, meaning the rings get gunked up and are not able to effectively seal well.

How much is it burning?

michaelovitch 06-20-2012 10:33 AM

rebuilt engine of 60 000 miles shouldn't burn oil.
if your turbo is still the same prior the rebuild i would check it first.

to have to put a new head after 60 000 rebuild....that's not normal yet.

77volvo245 06-20-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngoma (Post 5957)
Three main places could be your problem. Rings, valve stem seals, turbo. What kind of rings did you use, who did the sizing, boring, and honing?

Was it burning oil with the old head or did it start with the new one?

You are doing the right things by running synthetic and warming up before pushing it hard. Unless you mean letting it idle before driving it away. This could lead to cold-stacking, meaning the rings get gunked up and are not able to effectively seal well.

How much is it burning?

I didn't notice it really burning oil unitil I did the head job. The head has new valve guides, valves, valves seats and etc. I swap the turbo yesterday thinking it was the turbo going out. I didn't see a lot oil in the intake. I just put a used turbo on it still burns. It has some blow by when warm.

When I bought the motor 3 years ago it was in a 760. It had about 40,000 miles, it had a blown headgasket leaking exhaust gases through the cooling system. I put a use head on it did fine for 3 years no burning oil. I got rid of the 760 and put the motor in my 240 and notice it had another headgasket blown (leaking oil and coolant between the head and block). It never overheated on me so rings can't be cooked. So when I put the new head on I notice the burning.

Goes through a quart a week. About 250 miles. Its fine when cold but when its warm you can smell it.

77volvo245 06-20-2012 07:44 PM

kolbenschmidt pistons, 3rd oversized

michaelovitch 06-20-2012 10:33 PM

40 000 and yet blew a head gasket ?
3 years later the same ?

You have a problem on your engine.
more important than the oil consomption.

Head gaskets do not blow like that on a d24 ,tic or not.

was the head controlled ?

are the rings in the specs ?
maybe you broke one that was tired by the coolant that went in the cylinder.
water is not very good for a big compression diesel.

i suggest you a compression check.

it can explain a lot to you.

77volvo245 06-21-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelovitch (Post 5963)
40 000 and yet blew a head gasket ?
3 years later the same ?

You have a problem on your engine.
more important than the oil consomption.

Head gaskets do not blow like that on a d24 ,tic or not.

was the head controlled ?

are the rings in the specs ?
maybe you broke one that was tired by the coolant that went in the cylinder.
water is not very good for a big compression diesel.

i suggest you a compression check.

it can explain a lot to you.

The po of the car did a getto headgasket job, and it failed when I bought it. I just installed a victor rinez headgasket and it failed only lasted 3 years. I put a stock Volvo headgasket this recent head job.

I will do a compression check today.

Volvoist 06-21-2012 12:40 PM

Did you use a MLS or a Fiber gasket? MLS is the way to go. I suspect something is wrong with your cylinder head. I had a problem with a head on a rebuilt D24 engine I rebuilt recently. Installed another rebuilt head, and the oil burning went away. Was using roughly a quart per 125-150 miles before fixing it.

77volvo245 06-21-2012 01:12 PM

Did the compression check 500 even all six. I used a fiber Volvo gasket 2 notch couldn't find a mls

michaelovitch 06-29-2012 02:51 AM

500 wtf ?

that's high !
but good.:)

i would say a bit high according to what the book say.

I f your head vave been flatened/surfaced yet it maybe explain that.

fiber gaskets need re torquing. after warm up.

You did the test with oil or dry ?