D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Performance and aftermarket (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Adding a turbo to a 240 with factory slant. Pictures. (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=708)

anders 11-22-2011 05:50 AM

Adding a turbo to a 240 with factory slant. Pictures.

5 Attachment(s)
For anybody interested in adding a turbo to there 240 here is what I did. You can use a factory D24T manifold and mount the turbo directly to it, there is plenty of room using a T3, not sure on a hybrid T3/T4. I did not go this route because you would need to add a oil scavange pump for the turbo drain. ( Turbo drain line should be above the oil line in the pan with a 15 degree slope or more) What I did was built a connecting "up" pipe to move the turbo up and forward. I'm not sure if I will have room for the internal wastegate. I have the drain line into the pan right behind the AC pump, I welded a 1/2" NPT bung and put a -10 fitting on it. I relocating my oil filter using a Canton racing remote oil filter mount for Ford small block ( I can still use the Napa gold 1333 filter), At the oil filter mount I will have the oil feed to the turbo. For cooling the oil I will be a using a B&M supertec oil cooler, it has a built on fan and thermostat. I will be mounting that under the intercooler. I will post more pictures of cooler/drain/filter mount ect.. later.

anders 11-22-2011 06:17 AM

More pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Oh.. and the turbo I'm using is a Turbonetics T3 48/F49 Turbine with a super 60 compressor housing.

jbg 11-22-2011 04:35 PM

Anders,

Your turbo mounting and attention to detail are very nice indeed. Regarding the relocated turbocharger, do you have an ancillary support to "hold" the weight of it? I ask because the turbo itself has some weight it it, couple that and the movement of the engine, I fear it might stress the adapter pipe or the exhaust manifold all together!

Speaking of the turbo adapter piping, or the "up" pipe, is this made from iron like the manifold?

anders 11-24-2011 09:29 AM

Yes it will have two braces, one from flange to flange and from turbo to head. The pipe is built from mild steel and cast iron flanges.

michaelovitch 11-24-2011 11:32 AM

waouh !

Nice !

I follow that ,very interesting !

DWL_Puavo 11-25-2011 05:46 AM

Exhaust manifold from stock Volvo seems much better than the very basic and short cast-iron "candelabra" from a VW LT engine. I never thought that volvo manifold's exhaust flange faces downwards, in LT it faces sidewards so I was pleased to find out it in these pictures. This simple information can be quite valuable for me :)

Also thanks for the pic and info about oil return pipe to the oil sump!

anders 01-03-2012 11:50 AM

Update!
So I ran into problems with oil drain line even with the "up" pipe, I did not get the proper slope for the drain. If I would of welded in a fitting on front of the pan on the passenger side it would work. So.. the turbo is bolted directly to the manifold now and I will be ordering a turbowerx oil scavenge pump, that along with a wolstentech TDR to run the pump 30 seconds after shut down. It is going together slowly but it is getting there!

palmtree 03-22-2012 02:10 PM

I am very intrigued. I would love to try something like this. Have you made any more progress?

Wren 03-22-2012 05:36 PM

Nice work.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but will you have any issue with clearance around the alternator?

anders 03-23-2012 05:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I forgot to update this thread as I started a build thread. The 244 D24Tic is now finished with it's engine swap. It is running and driving great. I'm very happy with the results in power. The scavenge pump works great with the TDR. If I where to do this all over again I would try to do it with the D24t pan and have the engine more in the upright position as in the 7xx cars. There is no clearance issues with the alternator. Here are some pictures.