D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Performance and aftermarket (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rebuilt injectors w/ DNOSD 273 tips... (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=231)

Jason 01-28-2010 04:58 AM

Rebuilt injectors w/ DNOSD 273 tips...

Hey everyone,
just thought I would share my project last night. I finnaly got a set of rebuilt injectors finnished up. I got a set of "GTD" 273 injector tips and set up the injectors at 2,400 psi with the pop tester. The difference is noticeable for sure! Low end off boost power was improved, throttle response is better, and more crisp. The GTD tips are also supposed to be better with higher fueling compaired to the 193 tips. To sort of test this, I turned the full power screw in about a 1/3 of a turn. This is bottomed out on the limiting collar, and is where I had it set this past summer for a while. The difference was night and day! It didn't run anything like this before. I'm pushing 18lbs of boost 1st and 2nd gear and it builts up to 20 in third. (I've still got the auto trans so with the slipping converter it really doesn't load the engine that well). I think with the manual I'll be at 20lbs easily in 1st or second gear, and I haven't even removed the collar off the screw yet!

If your car has some miles on it I would recomend doing the injectors! Compaired to my friend Alex's car, mine ran great (his misses and smokes when cold, mine ran smooth even in single digit temps) and the new injectors still made a big difference!

Jason

v8volvo 01-29-2010 12:03 AM

Glad to hear it went well!

We just received a pack of 12 Monark 039 305 138 nozzles, which are equivalent to the Bosch 273 but higher quality and a different, more modern tip design that promotes better fuel atomization, esp for biodiesel. Haven't had a chance to put them in yet but I anticipate a solid improvement. One set of 6 is going into my '83 760 with 122k, excellent compression and 6 new Bosch 293s already in it, so that will be a direct comparison of Monark 138 to Bosch 293 both in new condition on a known good motor. Will be interesting to see what kind of difference the Monarks make on that one, if any. It runs very nicely with the Bosch tips and has lots of power. If the Monarks are able to make a noticeable difference I will be impressed.

The other set is going into a N/A '84 D24 240 with around 255k on its original 193s. Expect to see a major improvement there, even though it already runs reasonably well.

I'll report back with results... will hopefully find time to get to this sometime this weekend or next week.

Jason 01-29-2010 04:16 AM

I was going from the original 193s so the improvement was obvious. I too am interested to see how much of a difference the butt dyno shows over the 293s. After talking to Giles, the 273 and 293 tips are very close performance wise.

Jason

jbg 02-01-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 1953)
Glad to hear it went well!

We just received a pack of 12 Monark 039 305 138 nozzles, which are equivalent to the Bosch 273 but higher quality and a different, more modern tip design that promotes better fuel atomization, esp for biodiesel.

Yes, please report back your experiences with these nozzles! I am contemplating an order of six from Sean at Hessian Imports. Thanks!

v8volvo 02-03-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbg (Post 2005)
Yes, please report back your experiences with these nozzles! I am contemplating an order of six from Sean at Hessian Imports. Thanks!

Just started building a set of them for a non-turbo '84 240 D24 tonight, will finish it up tomorrow morning. Original injectors had 256,000 on them and still worked okay but the Monarks should make a big difference. Will have results tomorrow. :cool:

ngoma 02-22-2010 02:13 PM

Where are folks getting their injector nozzles? I just pop tested my injectors, pressures were ok but one pees and drips. Cleaning did not help so I'm in the market for replacement nozzles. Are VW GTD nozzles an appropriate upgrade to an otherwise stock engine?

Jason 02-22-2010 04:05 PM

I got mine from the vwparts place on line, I cant think of the name but I posted up the link in the suppliers section under cheap cheap parts. They are made offshore but they are working very well and the quality seemed nice. They are 45 for a set of 4... Pretty good deal. The 273 tips are a nice upgrade even if you arent pushing lots of fuel. Anything is better than worn out!

Jason

v8volvo 02-22-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngoma (Post 2242)
Where are folks getting their injector nozzles? I just pop tested my injectors, pressures were ok but one pees and drips. Cleaning did not help so I'm in the market for replacement nozzles. Are VW GTD nozzles an appropriate upgrade to an otherwise stock engine?

There is a great outfit just to the north of us, up in Bellingham, called MercedesSource that can get you the Monark nozzles. They deal mostly with Mercedes parts, since that is their specialty, but they are the main US distributor for Monark injection parts. Monark stuff is generally thought to be of higher quality than Bosch, since their needle tip design is more advanced and their products are made in Germany, while Bosch stuff is all produced in India and China now. I put a set of Monarks into the '84 244 Diesel I mentioned earlier and have been very impressed with the results. More power, more torque, better response, less smoke, quieter, smoother, and the difference in cold starting is remarkable... the car now starts up and is instantly smooth and quiet, almost as if it had been on a block heater or something and was already warm. Mileage has also improved noticeably, by about 2 mpg.

I have another set of the same Monark nozzles that I am getting ready to put into my 760 TD sedan. Hoping for equally good results with that one.

You can contact Kaia at MercedesSource at 1-360-715-BENZ. Since their main business is in selling Mercedes nozzles, they don't stock the ones needed for the VW/Volvo engine, but they are able to get them on special order in about two weeks. They are worth the wait. The part number you want is Monark 039 305 138, which is equivalent to the Bosch DN 0 SD 273 spec -- the nozzle to go with if you want a little more power without sacrificing MPG or dealing with additional smoke. They cost $20 each so only really a buck or two more than the Bosch.

MercedesSource is a great group of people to deal with -- they really try to help you out. I know you also said you liked to try to use local suppliers when possible -- you will like these guys. If enough people start ordering these nozzles, they might start stocking them, which would be great since it would bring price down, make them more readily available, and be good for their business as well.

ngoma 02-25-2010 07:55 AM

Just ordered 6 of the Monarks. V8volvo, you must be more of a charmer than me, she charged me $25 ea, so after duty fees, tax, and shipping, the total ended up just under $200. Could take up to a month.

Almost ready for this. Pop tester is working good, ultrasonic cleaner ready w/ plenty of solution, plenty of sandpaper. Just need to find a source for shims.

v8volvo 03-02-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngoma (Post 2262)
Just ordered 6 of the Monarks. V8volvo, you must be more of a charmer than me, she charged me $25 ea, so after duty fees, tax, and shipping, the total ended up just under $200. Could take up to a month.

Almost ready for this. Pop tester is working good, ultrasonic cleaner ready w/ plenty of solution, plenty of sandpaper. Just need to find a source for shims.

Sorry. Kaia told me about that, said you had called. She scolded me about posting the price for everyone to see. Evidently I should have kept our price to myself. I work at a shop so we get a different rate. The cost to the general public is $25 each. When you see how it runs after they're in you'll agree that they are worth it. ;)

The only real challenge to the job is getting everything squeaky clean. And you can't use any steel brushes or cleaning supplies (or scotchbrite) on any of the internal surfaces of the injector (even the insides of the outer bodies). Brass is OK but I was not able to find a brass bore brush of the right size anywhere. I ended up getting creative and used a nylon shotgun cleaning brush I got from Big 5 :D mounted in an electric drill. Did a great job. Between that, a compressed air supply and plenty of biodiesel it was not hard to get everything sterilized. Just be ready to spend a whole day at it, from injector removal, teardown, rebuild, testing, balancing, to reinstallation and don't rush. Extra time taken in the rebuilding process is worth it when you hear the car start up and run that much better as a result.

The 244 diesel that got the Monarks is now returning 30 mpg in mostly mountain driving. It used to get 27 before the injectors, and had less power and more smoke too. 2000 miles or so since putting them in and no issues. :cool: